2015 Carle/Salvation Army Toy Drive
Celebrating our 31st year, the annual toy drive – a community service project of Carle, Salvation Army, and WDWS/WHMS/WKIO radio – will run Monday, November 16 - Friday, December 11.
This year we’ve been challenged by the Salvation Army this year to get more gifts for kids ages 9 through 12, an age that often gets overlooked because they’re harder to shop for than small children. Check out the toy suggestions below for unique gift ideas for our older kids.
The theme again this year is “Earn Your Elf Esteem;” designed to help everyone find their holiday spirit and challenge others to give. Last year, we collected nearly 2,000 toys and more than $3,300 in monetary donations and gift cards, which all went to help thousands of children in our community. Let’s see what our elf efforts can do this year!
Earning your ears is simple: help those in need by dropping off any new, unwrapped toys and gifts for children through age 12 at the following locations:
- Carle Foundation Hospital Main Lobby, 611 W. Park St., Urbana (off of Orchard St.)
- Carle Tower Main Lobby, 611 W. Park St., Urbana (off of Church St.)
- Carle South Clinic Lobby, 602 W. University Ave., Urbana
- Carle - Champaign on Curtis, 1701 W. Curtis Road
- Carle - Champaign on Mattis, 1802 S. Mattis Ave.
- Carle - Champaign on Kirby, 1813 W. Kirby Ave.
- Carle - Urbana on Windsor, 1818 E. Windsor Road
- Carle in Mahomet, 1001 Heather Dr.
- Carle in Rantoul, 1540 E. Grove
- WDWS/WHMS/WKIO, 2301 S. Neil St., Champaign
- Health Alliance Medical Plans, 301 S. Vine St., Urbana (inside Lincoln Square Village)
Donors can also bring gifts, gift cards or monetary donations to Carle's all-day drive-thru toy collection on Wednesday, December 9, at Carle - Champaign on Mattis, 1802 S. Mattis Avenue. The collection will run from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m., with Lite Rock 97.5's Mike in the Morning giving away fun prizes to our first generous elves.
Toy drive Partners
- The Salvation Army of Champaign County
- WHMS - Lite Rock 97.5
- WDWS - NewsTalk 1400
- WKIO - 107.9FM
- Carle Foundation Hospital
- Carle Physician Group
TOY & gift SUGGESTIONS
For young kids
- Riding toys for toddlers
- Duplo box set
- Shopping carts
- Train sets
- Trucks - the larger, the better!
- Small toy cars
- Nerf sets
- Educational toys, such as Leap Frog
- Barbies - deluxe sets (no fake Barbies please!)
- Doll houses
- Baby doll stroller
- Kitchen set
- Easy Bake Ovens
- Play sleeping bags and tents
For older kids (with a special area of need for kids 9-12 this year!)
- Illini hoodies, sweatshirts or sweatpants
- Skateboards & kickboards/scooters
- Illini-labeled or regular sports equipment
- Large Lego sets or building blocks
- Art sets
- Video games or electronic hand-held games
- Radios or CD players
- Musical instruments - guitars, keyboards
- Remote-control cars/trucks
- Science kits - microscopes, telescopes
- G or PG rated DVDs
- Journal or diary
- Gift cards! Restaurants, ice cream, pizza, the mall
What not to buy/give:
Classic board games, used stuffed animals or beanie babies, candy, stocking stuffers, "fake" Barbies, play dough, glue crayons
Get social with Carle