Child Life Program
Making hospital stays a little less scary
Thanks to Carle's Child Life Program and the generous support of numerous donors, young patients have advocates at Carle. Our certified Child Life Specialists spend their days helping children and teens adjust to the overwhelming situations that often accompany hospitalization.
They spend hours explaining procedures in ways that children can understand and guiding them in different coping techniques. They also use toys and games to creatively distract children during medical procedures. Carle's Child Life Program helps thousands of children each year.
Kids need more than medicine to get well. Carle's Child Life Program provides the resources children and teens need to cope with their illness, injury or hospitalization.
How You Can Help
Thank you for your interest in donating to Carle’s Child Life Program. Your generosity helps make the healthcare experience for our young patients a little less scary and a lot more FUN.
Donations of needed items are always appreciated.
If you would like to donate needed items, the wish list offers several suggestions from our Child Life team. To better assist you with decisions regarding donations, please keep in mind:
- We cannot accept used items due to patient allergies and infection control guidelines.
- Items must be brand new and still in their original packaging.
- We cannot accept toys that depict violence, e.g., guns, knives, swords.
- We cannot accept food products, potted plants, or latex balloons.
- Please do not wrap donations.
- Due to privacy and infection control, we cannot allow personal delivery of gifts and donations directly to patients.
Child Life and Carle Center for Philanthropy collaborate to ensure the donation process is as simple as possible. When you are ready to make a gift from our wish list, please contact Child Life at (217)326-1929 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be asked to describe your donation so that we can make sure the items being donated (a) are currently needed (b) can be accepted and (c) can fit into available storage space. We will also work with you to arrange a drop-off date, time and location.
Upon delivery of your donation, you will receive an in-kind gift form. This form should be completed if you plan to claim your donation on your taxes. This form also allows us to properly recognize you for your generosity. All donors making gifts valued at $100 or more in a calendar year are recognized in the annual report from Carle Center for Philanthropy.
Monetary gifts are also welcome.
Making a monetary donation to the Child Life Program gives our staff the ability to purchase items as needs arise. To make a secure gift online, please visit carle.org/give and note CHILD LIFE as your gift designation. Or send your check made payable to Carle Center for Philanthropy (please note CHILD LIFE in the memo field) to 611 W. Park Street, Urbana, IL 61801. If you have any questions, please contact Carle Center for Philanthropy at (217) 383-3021 or email email@example.com.
Child Life Wish List
On behalf of our Child Life team and the young patients they serve, thank you. Your donation and generosity will help brighten a child’s hospital stay.
- Acrylic Paints
- Blank Canvases
- Coloring Books
- Craft Projects for Teens
- Teen Coloring Books (Mandala)
- Colored Pencils
- Crayola Crayons
- Markers (Washable, Fine tip)
- Figurines or Objects to Paint (Wood & Ceramic- Frames, Lizards, Birdhouses, etc.)
- Medium-Large Paint Brushes
- Painting Books (Large 11x14)
- Watercolor Paints
- Watercolor Paper (or White Cardstock)
- Playstation 3 Games
- Wii Games
- X Box 360 Games
- Light Up Fans
- Squishy, Textured, or Light-Up Balls
- Fidget Spinners
Light Up Toys (Wands)
- Regular Deck of Cards
- UNO cards
- Board Games (Sorry! is a popular one)
- Crib Mirrors
- Plastic Baby Toys
- Rattles (Plastic Only)
- Wrist Rattles
- Cloth Books
- Musical Toys
- Action Figures (Paw Patrol, Spiderman, Pi Masks, Trolls, Moana, Frozen)
- Small Activity Packs
- Barbie Dolls and Accessories
- Baby Dolls and Accessories
- Princess Themed Items/Sets
- Educational Toys
- Fisher Price Medical Kits
- Light Up Toddler Toys
- My Little Pony Toys
- Nail Polish and Remover
- Pop-Up Toys
- Spanish Books
- Doc McStuffin Play Sets
- Toy Trucks
- Hair Brushes (wet brush)
- Hair Accessories (twisties, clips, bobby pins)
- Teething Rings (Plastic Only)
- Underwear: All Sizes, Boy and Girl (Unopened Packages)
- Sound Machines (Small)
Gift Cards (cannot exceed $10 each)
- Dairy Queen Gift Cards
- iTunes Gift Cards (Used for iPad Apps)
- Subway Gift Cards
- Walmart Gift Cards
- Dick’s Sporting Goods Gift Cards
- Amazon Gift Cards
- VISA Gift Cards
Project Ideas for Groups
Our Child Life team is happy to help community groups (i.e. Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, church youth groups, school groups, etc.) find ways to give back to pediatric patients served by Carle. Below are some popular ideas that have been enjoyable for both the groups to create/collect as well as truly beneficial and special for our patients to receive while in the hospital. *The guidelines that are in place for donation items must be followed for these ideas as well.
- Make tie pillowcases
- Hold PJ pant drive
- Make PJ pants
- Make tie blankets
- Hold a stuffed animal drive
- Make craft boxes/kits