Diabetes Education Program
People with diabetes must balance diet, exercise, medication and blood sugar testing. The goal of our diabetes education program is to provide you with the tools you need to manage diabetes, avoid complications and stay healthy.
Carle's Diabetes Education Program is a team approach to patient education for improved diabetes self-management that includes:
- Individualized nutrition plan
- Overview of diabetes
- Adjusting to psychological and social aspects of living with diabetes
- Family involvement and support
- Nutritional management
- Exercise and activity
- Medications (pills and insulin)
- Monitoring blood sugar levels
- Relationship between food, exercise, medication and blood sugar levels
- Prevention, detection and treatment of complications of diabetes
- Foot skin and dental care
- Lifestyle changes, goal setting and problem solving
- Risks of poor blood sugar control and guidelines for self management
- Community resources
- Diabetes self-management support
Program fees vary depending on the services provided. Before your first appointment, please check with your health insurance provider regarding your coverage for diabetes care and education.
This diabetes self-management education program has been awarded recognition by the American Diabetes Association in accordance with the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education Programs.