The Child Abuse Safety Team (CAST) is dedicated to the safety of child abuse victims. When a child has sustained injuries requiring inpatient care, our experts are on call 24/Seven to identify suspected child abuse, ensure proper investigation and testing, and communicate directly with the state Department of Children & Family Services (DCFS) and other agencies, helping to ensure the best possible outcome for each child.
At Carle, your child is our first priority. From a routine checkup, developmental or chronic health conditions, to severe acute illness, our team of specialists work together to care for children and all of their care needs. Our pediatric care teams combine compassion and expertise to evaluate, diagnose and treat children and adolescent patients through individualized care.FIND A DOCTOR VISIT INSTITUTE
Led by hospitalist Brent Reifsteck, MD, CAST enhances current services provided by a well-established outpatient Child Protection team. The program also works closely with Carle Emergency Department’s Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) program, the only state-wide 24/Seven SANE program that includes pediatric sexual assault evaluations.
Focusing on inpatient victims of physical abuse and neglect, CAST provides:
• A dedicated team to triage phone calls and administer ED evaluations and in-house consults.
• Appropriate diagnostic and forensic investigations.
• A liaison to DCFS, police and the court system.
• Outpatient services, including forensic data collection and foster care clinic evaluations.
• Advocacy for the child’s well-being upon return home or safe placement in the community.
• Education and training to providers.
• Timely follow-up to keep the referring physician informed.
How to Access CAST
When a child is admitted to Carle for suspected child abuse, CAST is automatically notified for consultation. Providers can refer a patient for inpatient admission by calling (800) 451-4330. If a provider suspects abuse that may not require inpatient care, Pediatric Specialties is available at (217) 383-3100 for consultation on next steps.
With doctors practicing in 80 specialties at locations throughout the region, it’s easy to find the right healthcare team at Carle. Our mission is to serve people through high quality care, medical research and education.