Establish a routine each day
- Limit sedentary activities to a set amount of time per day
- Preferably less than 2 hours of screen time
- Set the expectation and be consistent
- Get plenty of sleep and follow a schedule
- General guidelines for children is 7-9 hours of sleep per night, but every child is different
Be physically active. Set a goal for 30-60 minutes a day. Do it as a family!
- Go for a walk. Be creative. For example, make your walk into a scavenger hunt.
- Play in the yard.
- Jog in place.
- Have a dance party. Ask friends and family to join in the fun with video chats.
- Create a homemade obstacle course at the level of your child’s age group.
- Do a simple exercise routine including jumping jacks, push ups, squats, jump rope, etc. Use exercise equipment if you have it available at home.
- Avoid foods and snacks high in fat and sugar
- Avoid sugary drinks, including sports drinks, juice and soda
- Eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily
- Eat regular meals
- Eat as a family
- Chew slowly
- Offer a variety of foods
- Drink plenty of water
Keep up with immunizations and prescribed medications
- The Carle medical staff is available to make sure your child stays healthy and receives timely immunizations.
- Visits are available in person or by telephone. Your provider is ready to answer any questions you may have.
- If your child develops an acute illness, please call your provider’s office first to determine the best action plan.
Categories: Staying Healthy