Labor and Delivery Unit
Carle Foundation Hospital offers expectant moms the highest level of quality care in a warm, supportive atmosphere. Our Labor and Delivery unit features:
- Nurse to patient assignments that offer personalized care from our unit staff.
- Board certified obstetricians, perinatologists, neonatologists, nurse midwives and OB anesthesia 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Pain management options, including pain medications, whirlpool tubs, nitrous, epidural and birthing ball.
- Flexible visiting hours (except when limited by flu season or other medically indicated restrictions).
- Spacious rooms with comfortable seating and fold-out beds.
- In-room exclusive quality time with your baby from the moment of birth through discharge.
- Hugs® newborn security system.
- Breastfeeding help during your stay and after you go home.
- A welcoming and collaborative environment for doulas throughout your labor and delivery.
My Delivery Team
When you deliver your baby at Carle, our team of specialized staff will be in the room to assist you. These include:
- Delivering provider – can be obstetrician, family medicine physician, or certified nurse midwife
- Labor and delivery nurse – provides all care for the mother and baby during labor
- Baby advocate – nurse responsible specifically for the care of your newborn from the moment of birth through the first hour of life
- NICU staff – may be present for any medical needs related to the care of the newborn, including (but not limited to), Cesarean Section (C-Section), vaginal delivery using forceps or vacuum, or delivery of twins and triplets
- Your support team – limited to three people in the delivery room, one in the operating room and immediate post-surgical recovery room; this includes doulas if you choose to have one present
If you choose to have an epidural to aid with pain relief during labor, we have a 24-hour Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) dedicated to Labor and Delivery.