Carle Community Breastfeeding Clinic
Breastfeeding Offers an Unmatched Beginning for Children
Providing infants with human milk gives them the most complete nutrition possible. Human milk provides the optimal mix of nutrients and antibodies necessary for each baby to thrive. Scientific studies have shown that breastfed children have far fewer and less serious illnesses than those who never receive breast milk, including reduced risk of SIDS, childhood cancers and diabetes. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends exclusive breastfeeding for about the first six months of a baby’s life, followed by breastfeeding in combination with the introduction of complementary foods until at least 12 months of age, and continuation of breastfeeding for as long as mutually desired by mother and baby.
Breastfeeding Experts at Carle Foundation Hospital
Carle Community Breastfeeding Clinic is available to talk through questions and help you breastfeed successfully. We can assist you with:
- Determining correct positioning and latch
- Developing family breastfeeding plans
- Ensuring your milk supply is adequate
- Preparing moms for going back to work
- Assistance obtaining a breastpump for home and pump instruction
- Checking on maternal medications/illness and effects on breastfeeding
- Providing guidance with suspected breast engorgement/infection, or blocked milk ducts
- Understanding breast milk storage guidelines
- Bottle feeding transition when you are returning to work
- Feeding babies with reflux or spitting up
- Knowing what to do when your baby is fussy during feeding
- Weighing baby to ensure he or she is getting the proper amount during feedings
Help is available 24 hours a day by phone at (217) 326-2610, press 2 and leave a message. Between the hours of 9 a.m. - 10 p.m., a lactation consultant will call you back. Calls after 10 p.m. will be directed to the Carle patient advisory nurses.
Our lactation consultants are also available by appointment at:
- Carle Urbana on Windsor, Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Carle Champaign on Curtis, Tuesday and Thursday, from 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Please call (217) 326-2610 and press 1 to schedule an appointment. A Breastfeeding Clinic staff member will return your call. Appointments are open to the community regardless of where you receive care.
Support comes from professional consultants, but from other moms as well. Carle offers a breastfeeding support group every Thursday from 10 a.m. – noon at The Forum at Carle.
Carle's Breastfeeding Support Policy
10 Steps to Successful Breastfeeding
Community Breastfeeding Resources